DR MERCOLA INTERVIEW
Wireless devices including WI-FI, cell phones and cordless phones have brought an unprecedented level of convenience to your life . Unfortunately, that convenience may come at the expense of your health.
Nearly 10 years ago, even I was enthused about the coming wireless revolution, but now that I know the facts I realize that many cannot see the forest for the trees.
For many thousands of years, life has existed on earth with very low background levels of radio frequency radiation (RFR). In just the last 100 years, however, the explosion in wireless technologies, along with the exposure levels of RFR, have been immense.
This is About So Much More Than Just Using a Cell Phone
I’ve devoted many articles to the dangers of cell phone use and their link to increasing rates of brain tumors and other health problems in children and adults. This is one aspect of wireless exposure that you can easily control just by limiting your cell phone use and using a combination shielded wire and air-tube headset when you do.
But even if you never use a cell phone, you are still being exposed to RFR, because now society as a whole is becoming increasingly enveloped in these frequencies.
Each cell within your body is like an antenna: an exquisitely sensitive receiver and transmitter of electromagnetic radiation. Each cell phone tower emits its signal in “lobes” — a circular “flower petal” pattern with a limited radius spreading 360 degrees around the tower.
This circle of radiation around the tower is called a “cell.” If you’re in a cell, your phone gets good reception. If you’re not, it doesn’t.
The antennas that broadcast the microwave signals to service your cell phone are mounted everywhere. Now add to that the more than 2,000 communications satellites ceaselessly raining down a shower of radiation on all of our heads.
Thus, you are continually exposed — 24 hours a day, 7 days a week — to potentially dangerous low levels of microwaves from multiple sources, and this likely includes some coming from within your own home.
How are You Exposed to Wireless Radiation at Home?
We are all exposed to radiofrequencies and electromagnetic fields in daily life from sources including:
- WI-FI (yours and your neighbors’)
- Power lines
- Cell phones and cell phone towers
- Cordless phones
- Live electrical wiring in ceilings, walls and floors
- Appliances including televisions and microwaves
Wireless Internet connections are one of the most concerning types of radiation because the exposure area is so vast. Have you ever noticed when you search for a wireless connection from your laptop how several other networks pop up on your screen?
This happens because all of those other wireless connections are intermingling with your own. So even if you don’t have a wireless connection at home, you will still be impacted by your neighbors’ connections.
Further, WI-FI is a kind of radio wave that operates at either 2.4 or 5 gigahertz — slightly higher than your cell phone. Since they’re designed to allow for transmission of very large amounts of data, WIFI radio waves also emit greater amounts electromagnetic radiation.
Health Risks of Wireless Exposure
To get an in-depth look at the wireless revolution and the potentially irreversible effects on your health, I highly recommend watching Public Exposure: DNA, Democracy & the Wireless Revolution.
This independently produced documentary focuses on the growing scientific evidence and social movement that point to two central threats from the wireless eruption: the serious potential public health hazards of radio frequency radiation from wireless devices such as cell phones and the antennas which broadcast the microwave signals, and the massive threat to democracy when millions of citizens are forcibly exposed to radio frequency radiation without their consent and against their expressed will.
To get an idea of what types of health effects the wireless revolution poses, you need look no further than The BioInitiative Report, which was published in 2007 by an international working group of scientists, researchers and public health policy professionals.
It concludes that the existing standards for public safety are completely inadequate to protect your health. The report includes studies showing evidence that electromagnetic fields and exposure to radiofrequencies can:
- Affect gene and protein expression (Transcriptomic and Proteomic Research)
- Have genotoxic effects — DNA damage
- Induce stress response (Stress Proteins)
- Affect immune function
- Affect Neurology and behavior
- Cause childhood cancers (Leukemia)
- Impact melatonin production; Alzheimer’s Disease; Breast Cancer
- Promote breast cancer (Melatonin links in laboratory and cell studies)
Simple Methods To Lower EMF Burden:-
Here are some of the top tips you can take to lower your EMF burden considerably:
- Turn off all the fuses at night.
- If you are constructing a new home or renovating one and the walls are being rebuilt you can install radiant barrier, which is a tough type of aluminum foil that will also very effectively screen out the EMF. This is what I did for my own bedroom.
- Be aware that cell phones and wireless Internet features are not the only sources you need to be cautious of. Essentially, most all electronics will generate EMF’s, including the wiring in your home, electric alarm clocks, electric blankets, computers and lamps, just to mention a few.
- At minimum, move your bed so that your head is at least 3-6 feet from all electrical outlets. If you are constructing the walls you can put the wires inside pipes, which will virtually eliminate the fields that are generated in the room when the current runs through the wire.
- Turn off everything electrical in your sleeping area, including your alarm clock, WI-FI, cell and portable phones.
- Try to minimize placing a non-corded phone to your head, and avoid using your cell phone when in a car with a child or pregnant woman. .
- Sleep on a non-metal bed and mattress.
- Put wireless devices on a timer so they turn off at night.